Lives between Abu Dhabi and Washington DC
Ebtisam is a multidisciplinary artist and writer, holds a bachelor’s degree in science and mathematics from the United Arab Emirates University in Al Ain. Abdulaziz incorporates her unique perspective on mathematics and the structures of systems to explore issues of identity and culture through installations, performance pieces, video, paintings and works on paper. Her works are evidence of a fascination with systemic ways to produce emotionally or intellectually meaningful forms of expression.
Combining the scientific with the arbitrary, at times juxtaposing the two in order to force the viewer to question their assumptions about rules in the natural and formulaic world. The variety in shapes and materials are exhibited for different purposes, Some document the accelerating times, others present an alternative concept to the accelerating change in our environment. Ebtisam dealt with everyday issues, specifically psychological poignancies; issues like life and death, happiness, sorrow, love, hate and jealousy, as well as human situations such as social injustice, equality, race, religions, women and political Issues.
Abdulaziz has exhibited as part of the Inaugural UAE and ADACH Pavilions at 53rd Venice Biennale, as well as at the 7th & 10th Sharjah Biennial; Languages of the Desert, the Kunst Museum, Bonn, Germany; Dubai Next, a collaboration between the Dubai Culture & Arts Authority and Vitra Design Museum, Basel 2008; The Mori Art Museum, The Institut du Monde Arabe, Paris, Benin Biennial 2012, Kora Centre, Benin. FotoFest Biennial, Art in Houston, Texas, US. Past Forward, contemporary art from the Emirates, Washington, DC, Los Angeles,CA, East Lansing,MI, Fort Worth, TX, Lexington,KY, Dallas,TX, Spokane,WA. Cara Gallery, Smack Mellon gallery in New York. NYUAD Art Gallery, Guggenheim Abu Dhabi, The Florida Museum of Photographic Arts, Tampa, American University Museum at the Katzen Arts Center, The Florida Museum of photographic Arts. Ebtisam is one of 100 powerful Arab women of 2013 list.
- 2017. Ebtisam Abdulaziz, Blue Freedom, Curated by: Blair Murphy, DC Arts Center, Washington, DC, USA
- 2012. Ebtisam Abdulaziz, The Third Line Gallery, Dubai, UAE
- 2009. Ebtisam Abdulaziz, The Third Line at Bastakiya Art Fair, Dubai, UAE
- 2007. Ebtisam Abdulaziz, Sharjah Arab Contemporary Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE
- 2022. Montgomery College Spring 2022 Artist in Residency, Takoma Park/ Silver spring
- 2021. WPA , Auction. Washington, DC.
- 2020-2021. Group Exhibition, Art in Isolation: Creativity in the Time of COVID-19, Middle East institute, Washington DC, US.
- 2020. Love 4 Immigrants Virtual Art Healing Speaker Series & Exhibition, DC.
- 2020. The By the People X Monochrome collective Art Fair, Washington, DC
- 2019. AlBurda Endowment exhibition, Islamic art. Manarat Al Saadiyat, Abu Dhabi.
- 2019. Art Abu Dhabi, lead the visual campaign.
- 2019. contemporary Performance, Group Show, Curated by: Kalup Linzy, The Florida Museum of Photographic Arts, Tampa, Florida.
- 2019. WPA , Auction. Washington, DC.
- 2018. Art OMI- international artist program, NY.
- 2018. Tribe: contemporary photography from the Arab world, American University Museum At the Katzen Arts Center, Washington DC.
- 2018. From Barcelona to Abu Dhabi: work from MACBA art collection in Dialogue with the Emirates, group show, Manarat Al Saadiyat, Abu Dhai, UAE.
- 2018. Gateway, Group show, Curated by: Maya Allison, Manarat Al Saadiyat, Hall X3, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- 2017. UPROOT Group Show, Curated by Gabriel de Guzman, Smack Mellon Gallery, NY, USA.
- 2017. Show at Arab Guld State Institute in Washington. DC. Gulf Arts & Culture Symposium.
- 2017. The Creative Act, Exhibition of work from the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi Collection, Manarat Al Saadiyat, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- 2017. Group Exhibition “But We Cannot See Them: Tracing a UAE Art Community, At NYUAD Art Gallery, AbuDhabi, UAE.
- 2016. Group Exhibition (Defy/ Define) at Transformer Gallery, Washington, Dc, USA.
- 2016. Art Talk and exhibition at Rhizome DC, Washington, DC, USA.
- 2016. Group exhibition Relevant Notes, june –july, Cara Gallery NY, USA.
- 2015. Emirates arts society annual exhibition, Sharjah Arts Museum, Sharjah, UAE
- 2015. Artist in Residence at The League Residency at Vyt.
- 2014. On Site,NYUAD Art Gallery, Abu Dhabi, UAE . November 1, 2014 - January 17, 2015
- 2014. Past Forward, contemporary art from the Emirates, Cafritz Galleries, White-Meyer House, 1624 Crescent Place, NW, Washington, DC 20009
- 2014. FotoFest Biennial, VIEW FROM INSIDE: Contemporary Arab Video, Photography and Mixed Media Art, the fifteenth international Biennial of Photography and Photo-related Art in Houston, Texas.
- 2014. Summer Group Exhibition at the third line, Dubai.
- 2014. FIAC, Art Fair, Third line Gallery booth, Paris, France.
- 2013. ‘Three Generations’ Marks the First-Sotheby’s London ,UK,
- 2013. 'Emirati Expressios'- Realised- Manarat Al Saadiyat , Abu Dhabi- U.A.E.
- 2013. "The Beginning of Thinking is Geometric"- Maraya Art Center, Sharjah- U.A.E.
- 2013. Sikka art, AiR (Artist in Residance), AlFahidi, Dubai
- 2012. Twenty Five Years of Creativity, Institute du Monde Arabe, Paris, France
- 2012. Arab Express, a group exhibition at The Mori Art Museum, Tokyo Inventing The World: The Artists as a Citizen, Benin Biennial
- 2012. Kora Centre, Benin Beyond The Frame, Residence of U.S Ambassador Michael Corbin, USA The 30th Emirates Fine Art Society’s Annual Exhibition, Sharjah Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE
- 2011. The Heart of Phoenix: Art and Culture of the United Arab Emirates-Sharjah, Gyeonggi Museum of Modern Art, Korea Roaming Images, Maraya Art Centre Al Qasba in collaboration with the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art of Greece. Women’s Circle Series, Sharjah Biennial 10, Sharjah Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE
- 2010. (Sharjah –Art from the Emirates) Group Exhibition at Denmark National Museum, Copenhagen.
- 2009. Biladi, Tashkeel, Dubai, UAE It’s Not You It’s Me, Inaugural UAE Pavillon at 53rd Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy Emirati Expressions, Emirates Palace, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- 2008. No Such Place (2), Photographic exhibition, Roger Smith Hotel, New York, USA Bahrain Culture Festival, Al Rewaq Gallery, Manama, Bahrain UAE House, XVA at the Creek Art Fair, Al Bastakiya, Dubai, UAE New Faces-New Visions Exhibition, DCTAC, Dubai, UAE
- 2007. Shalom: Post-card Exhibition, Christ Church, Contemporary Art Space, Gosford, Australia Self-Representation in the Arabian Gulf, Virginia Commonwealth Arts University, Doha, Qatar
- 2007. Portrait: Eight UAE Painters, Total Arts Gallery- Dubai, UAE
- 2007. Minus Reality, Art Attack Gallery, Dubai, UAE
- 2006. Nafas Exhibition, IFA, Berlin, Stuttgart, Germany
- 2005. Belief, 1st Singapore Biennale, Singapore 2005 Sharjah Biennial 7, Sharjah Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE
- 2004. Languages of the Desert Exhibition, Kunst Museum, Bonn, Germany 2004 LINE Exhibition, with Mohammed Kazem, Sharjah Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE
- 2001. Emirates Art Society Annual Exhibitions, Sharjah Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE
- 2017. Guggenheim director on time frame for Abu Dhabi museum and latest Saadiyat exhibition http://www.thenational.ae/arts-life/art/guggenheim-director-on-time-frame-for-abu-dhabi-museum-and-latest-saadiyat-exhibition
- 2017. A new exhibition at NYU Art Gallery in Abu Dhabi surveys one of the most important creative communities in UAE history http://www.harpersbazaararabia.com/art/exhibitions/a-uae-underground
- 2016. 7 Exciting Artists in the UAE, Wall Street Journal, http://www.wsj.com/articles/7-exciting-artists-in-the-uae-1459456113
- 2016. Women at the Top, Financial Times, http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/6ce4e150-e460-11e5-a09b-1f8b0d268c39.html
- 2012. Ebtisam Abdulaziz: Contemporary Emirati Conceptual Artist, AMA, January 2012
- 2011. Simpson, Colin, The National, Sharjah Biennale Enters Last Weekend with Workshops, pg 3, May 13, 2011 Simpson, Colin, The National, Sharjah Biennale Put Women in the Picture, pg. 5, April 12, 2011
- 2010. Smith, Syliva, BBC, Online 0TUwww.bbc.comU0TJohnson, Alice, Gulf News, Berlin-Dubai Cultural Festival Launched, Online 0TUwww.gulfnews.comU0T Moon, Timur, The National, Arts & Life, Archive UAE, November 2, 2010, pg. 1, 3
- 2009. The Guardian, United Arab Emirates Confronts Stereotypes in Venice Biennale Debut, June 4, 2009 Universe in Universe, Venice Biennale: It’s Not You, It’s Me, Online 0TUhttp://universes-in- universe.org/eng/bien/venice_biennale/2009/tour/united_arab_emiratesU0T
- 2009. Patel, Dave, Blank Canvas, w Magazine, pg 58 – 60, June 19
- 2009. Kadry, Mohamed, Life in a Bag, Khaleej Times, March 20
- 2009. Mosey, Karen Anne, The Sum of it All is About Bagging it Right, Khaleej Times, March 20 2009 Lake, Ed, Curator Says Pavilion will Challenge Cliches About UAE, The National, January 20
- 2008. Gulf News Supplement, Dubai Next, Dubai Now: Short Films and Video from the UAE, created by Bidoun Magazine, July 2008, pg. 9
Publications and Catalogues:
- 2007. Ebtisam Abdul-Aziz, Catalogue for Solo Exhibition, April
- 2012. Ebtisam Abdul-Aziz, Catalogue for Solo Exhibition, April
- 2013 Among the list of the 100 most powerful Arab women, www.arabianbusiness.com/100-most-powerful-arab-women-2013-491497.html?view=profile&itemid=491432#.U6SZuU2KAcA
- 2010 Art Centre Manager, Sharjah Ladies Club, Sharjah, UAE
- 2007 Member, Emirates photography competition jury, Abu Dhabi, UAE Member, Emirates Foundation Panel for Art Program Grant, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- 2006 Participant, Seminar with Department of Culture and Information, Directorate of Arabic Art, Art Center, UAE
- Assistant Curator, Window Exhibition: 16 UAE Artists, Total Arts Gallery, Dubai, UAE
- 2005 Member since 2004, Al Taskeel Editors Magazine, Fine Art Society, UAE
- 1999 Member, Emirates Fine Art Society, Sharjah, UAE.Member, Dubai Youth Theater & Art Atelier, Dubai UAE
- Guggenheim Museum collection, Abdu Dhbai.UAE.
- Collection of Deutsche Bank AG, Frankfurt, Germany
- Arab Gulf State institute in Washington DC.
- Renaut Collection, France.
- Ministry of Culture & Youth, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- ADMAF,AbuDhabi Music & Arts Foundation, UAE.
- The Emirates Investment Bank private collection, Dubai, UAE.
- Private collection of H. H. Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan,, UAE Minister foreign affairs.
- Private art collection of H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Bin Khalifa Al Nahyan.
- Collection of Barjeel Art Foundation, personal art collection of Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi.
- Maraya Art Center, Sharjah, UAE.
- DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities (CAH), Art Bank.
- 2012. 1st Prize, Emirates fine arts society annual Exhibition, Sharjah Contemporary Art Museum, UAE
- 2013. Among the list of the 100 most powerful Arab women, http://www.arabianbusiness.com/100-most-powerful-arab-women-2013-491497…
- 2014. 2nd Prize, Emirates fine arts society annual Exhibition, Sharjah contemporary art Museum, UAE.