Born in 1963, Durazno, Uruguay
Lives and works in Uruguay
Juan Burgos was born in 1963 in Durazno, a central province in Uruguay. He studied at the Fine Arts School in Montevideo and fashion design at the Strasser Institute. His first steps in collage date back from the 1980’s. The Paul Cézanne Award, granted by the French Embassy in Uruguay enabled him to collaborate with the DCA-Philippe Decouflé Company in París, in 2000. In 2007, the Ruy de Clavijo Grant awarded by Casa Asia Barcelona, led him to carry out research on the aesthetics of propaganda posters in Beijing, China. In 2008 he was distinguished by the Visual Arts National Award in Uruguay. In 2009 he exhibited his work at the 1st Triennal in Chile and represented Uruguay at the 53rd Biennale di Venezia. In 2010 he was invited to expose in Buschlen-Mowatt gallery in Vancouver, in the Spain’s Cultural Center in Buenos Aires and at the XII International Cairo Biennale. He was invited to expose in the First Montevideo Art Biennale in 2012 and at the Curitiba Biennale in Brazil in 2013.
- 1986 – 1988 National Fine Arts School Montevideo, Uruguay
- 1982 – 1984 Strasser Fashion Design Institute Montevideo, Uruguay
Grants / Awards:
- 2009. 2nd Prize @ National Prize for Visual Arts, Montevideo, Uruguay
- 2007. Ruy de Clavijo Grant awarded by Casa Asia Barcelona: research on the aesthetics of propaganda posters in Beijing, China.
- 2005. 1st Prize @ OSDE Foundation Prize, figurative art category, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1999. Paul Cézanne Award, artist-in residency in DCA-Philippe Decouflé’s contemporary dance company, Paris, France
- 1996. Honourable mention in United Airlines Prize, MAAM, Uruguay
- 1995. Honourable mention in United Airlines Prize, MAAM, Uruguay
- 2013. Curitiba International Biennale VentoSul 20 anos
- 2013 - 2012. 1st Montevideo International Art Biennale
- 2011 - 2010. XII International Cairo Biennale
- 2009. 53th Venice Art Biennale
- 2009. 1st Chile Triennial
- 2012. Propaganda. Art Büro Gallery, Montevideo
- 2011. Dog Roses. Space for Contemporary Art - Montevideo
- 2008. Down the rabbit hole. Spanish Cultural Center, Montevideo
- 2007. @Manga Art Studio. Beijing, China
- 2005. Last warning. Alliance Française de Montevideo
- 2000. Space toys. Void Gallery, SoHo, New York
- 2000. A season in hell. Engelman-Ost Collection, Montevideo
- 1997. Last Works. American Art Museum (MAAM) Maldonado, Uruguay
- 1997. @La Crêperie, Montevideo
- 1994. Prescription medecine. Casa Gandhi, Montevideo
- 2013. Week of the Uruguayan Culture, Porto Alegre, Brazil
- 2012. Arte Hoy. Annual Meeting of Inter-American Development Bank, Montevideo
- 2012. ArteBA. Document-Art Exhibition, Buenos Aires
- 2011. La mismidad en lo simultáneo. Museo Sivori, Buenos Aires
- 2011. Houston Fine Art Fair, Document-Art Exhibition, Houston
- 2010. Los Angeles Art Show. Uruguayan representation, Los Angeles
- 2010. Menos Tiempos que lugar / Art of the independency. Subte Municipal, Montevideo
- 2010. Entre-Medios. Buschlen-Mowatt Gallery, Vancouver, Canada
- 2010. Sinvergüenza. Iberoamerican street art, CCEBA, Buenos Aires
- 2009. Borde Sur. Itinerant exhibition of Uruguayan contemporary art - NY, Washington DC, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Berlin, etc
- 2008. 53rd National Prize for Visual Arts. Montevideo
- 2008. Muestras rodantes, all provinces' capitals in Uruguay
- 2007. 52nd National Prize for Visual Arts. Punta del Este, Uruguay
- 2006. Pride and Passion. Municipal Exhibition Center, Montevideo
- 2006. Angels and Demons. History Center, Zaragoza, Spain
- 2005-06. Rescue. Del Paseo Gallery, Punta del Este, Uruguay
- 2005. OSDE Foundation. Expotrastiendas and Palais de Glace, Buenos Aires
- 2005. City Hall Annual Visual Arts Award. Municipal Exhibition Center, Montevideo.
- 2005. Magical Spyholes. Engelman-Ost Collection, Montevideo. 2005 Molino de Pérez Art Fair, Del Paseo Gallery, Montevideo.
- 2002. Library. Lezlan Keploszt Gallery, Montevideo.
- 2001. Fame. Subte Municipal, Montevideo
- 2001. Textile Fragrances. Cabildo de Montevideo.2000 Nothing like Uruguay– Blanes Museum, Montevideo
- 1999. Paul Cézanne Award. Contemporary Art Museum, Montevideo
- 1999. On Taste... Municipal Exhibition Center, Montevideo
- 1999. Action, toggether with visual artists Flanagan and López Lage. Cabildo de Montevideo.
- 1998. Municipal Visual Arts Biennale. Montevideo.
- 1998. Virgins and Saints. Del Paseo Gallery, Montevideo.
- 1998. Ecology and Recycling. INJU, Montevideo.
- 1998. Christian Art Contest. Latina Gallery, Montevideo
- 1996. United Airlines Prize. American Art Museum, Maldonado, Uruguay.
- 1995. United Airlines Prize. American Art Museum, Maldonado, Uruguay.
- 1995. VI Young Artists’ Show. Coca Cola Prize, Subte Municipal, Montevideo
- 1995. II Visual Arts Biennale. Montevideo